- Possession of images, footage, or other content duplicated from the Minnesota Historical Society collections does not constitute permission to use it.
- Permission and license to reproduce, publish, broadcast or display a Minnesota Historical Society image from the online system must be obtained electronically through that system. For images not in Collections Online, permission and license must be requested in writing, using this Request for Permission form (PDF). For other types of materials, permission and license must be requested in writing; contact the Reference Department for more information.
- Permission is for one-time, one-project use only. Minnesota Historical Society retains all rights to images, footage or other content duplicated from the Minnesota Historical Society collections. The duplications may not be used for any purpose other than what is expressly defined in the use or license agreement.
- If a use fee applies, it must be paid in advance of receiving a permission form signed by authorized staff at the Minnesota Historical Society.
- Credit must be given to the Minnesota Historical Society and the creator of the original work, if known. Credit must appear on or below the image/footage/content, or in a designated credit section. For web uses, hover-view credits only are not acceptable.
- If copyright is still in effect and the copyright is not held by Minnesota Historical Society, the requestor must seek permission from the creator of the original work or from the current copyright holder. MNHS will provide the creator's name, if known.
- Photographs may be cropped to suit design and layout, but they may not be altered, colorized or drawn upon without a letter of permission in addition to the standard permission form.
- Minnesota Historical Society reserves the right to decline permission to requestors who have not complied with these conditions or whose use is deemed inappropriate.
- Minnesota Historical Society assumes no responsibility for infraction of copyright laws, invasion of privacy or any other improper or illegal use that may arise from reproduction of any collection materials. Requestor assumes full and sole responsibility for the use of the duplication and shall pay and indemnify and hold Minnesota Historical Society and its agents harmless from and against all claims, damages, losses, costs, expenses, and liabilities of every kind (including attorneys' fees) arising out of the requestor's use, or out of the requestor's breach or alleged breach of the use or license agreement.
- In some cases, the Society will request that a copy of the finished product be donated to the Society. Please contact the MNHS Collections Department for more information about providing copies of finished products:
MNHS Collections Department
345 Kellogg Blvd. West
St. Paul, MN 55102-1906