Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Suggested Newspapers & Dates
- Minneapolis Start-Tribune
- St. Paul Pioneer Press
- March-April 1968: Plaisted Expedition
- April-May 1986: Steger Polar Expedition
- July 27, 1989: The International Trans-Antarctica Expedition begins
- March 3, 1990: The International Trans-Antarctica Expedition ends
- November 1992- January 1993: Ann Bancroft's trip to the south pole
- November 2000- January 2001: Ann Bancroft and Liv Arnesen cross Antarctica
Other Useful Resources:
- Ralph Plaisted's "News Obituary" appeares in the September 11, 2008, issue of the Star Tribune, on page B10 of the Metro edition
The Minnesota Historical Society holds the world's largest collection of Minnesota newspapers, with dates ranging from 1849 to the present day.
Past issues of most newspaper titles are available on microfilm in the MNHS library, but there is also digital access to select newspapers.
Use the links to the left to search for newspapers available at MNHS and to search within digitized newspaper collections.
Search for Newspapers
Minnesota Digital Newspaper Hub
A searchable website of Minnesota newspapers. Contains geographically and culturally diverse papers from 1856 to 1924.
Historical Minneapolis Tribune
Search or browse in the 1867-2001 issues of the Minneapolis Tribune. This database is only available in the library.
Search by city and title of newspaper (i.e. Granite Falls Tribune) or by the city and "newspapers" (i.e. Granite Falls newspapers).
Newspapers at MNHS
Search various historic newspapers for advertisements and articles about people, events, and activities.
Access digital historic newspapers from MN and other states through this project by the Library of Congress.
Electronic Library of MN
MN residents can search online magazine, journal, newspaper, and encyclopedia articles and eBooks.