Related Research Guides & Webpages
Family History Research
Family history can be a very rewarding and educational activity. The Minnesota Historical Society has a variety of resources to help you learn about your family's history. If you are just starting out on your family research it is best to begin in a systematic way. Your research will be more productive and generally more successful if you do.
Family History Research in 8 Easy Steps
- Step 1: Start with what you know
- Step 2: Prepare for your visit to the library.
- Step 3: Determine the kind of record you need.
- Step 4: Record your results.
- Step 5: Decide what you want to find out next.
- Step 6: What you can do at home.
- Step 7: Read about the areas in which your ancestors lived.
- Step 8: Read about doing family research. Join a society. Share your research.