Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Suggested Newspapers & Dates
- Minnesota Democrat
- The Minnesotian
- St. Paul Pioneer Press
- Minnesota Chronicle and Register
- Minneapolis Tribune
Newspaper Transcripts and Index, 1849-1863
Typed transcripts of and a microfilmed personal name and subject index to articles on early Minnesota, selected mainly from southern Minnesota newspapers, 1849-1859. Includes much information on land and water travel, immigration, the rise and decline of towns, and Indian affairs, as well as descriptions of Minnesota’s climate and natural resources.
MNHS call number: Microfilm M588
- January 1,1817: Harriet Bishop is born in Vermont.
- July 19, 1847: After hearing about the growing demand for teachers on the expanding frontier, Harriet Bishop moves to St. Paul and establishes the first public school in the city.
- 1847: Soon after her arrival in Minnesota, Harriet Bishop opens the first Sunday school in St. Paul. The Sunday school becomes the foundation for the First Baptist Church of St. Paul, with Bishop as a leading member.
- 1850: Harriet Bishop opens the Minnesota Women's Seminary.
- 1858: Harriet Bishop marries John McConkey.
- 1867: Harriet Bishop helps to found the Ladies Christian Union in St. Paul.
- 1867: Harriet Bishop divorces John McConkey.
- 1877: Harriet Bishop becomes the first organizer of the Minnesota Women's Christian Temperance Union.
- August 8,1883: Harriet Bishop dies in St. Paul.
The Minnesota Historical Society holds the world's largest collection of Minnesota newspapers, with dates ranging from 1849 to the present day.
Past issues of most newspaper titles are available on microfilm in the MNHS library, but there is also digital access to select newspapers.
Use the links to the left to search for newspapers available at MNHS and to search within digitized newspaper collections.
Search for Newspapers
Minnesota Digital Newspaper Hub
A searchable website of Minnesota newspapers. Contains geographically and culturally diverse papers from 1856 to 1924.
Historical Minneapolis Tribune
Search or browse in the 1867-2001 issues of the Minneapolis Tribune. This database is only available in the library.
Search by city and title of newspaper (i.e. Granite Falls Tribune) or by the city and "newspapers" (i.e. Granite Falls newspapers).
Newspapers at MNHS
Search various historic newspapers for advertisements and articles about people, events, and activities.
Access digital historic newspapers from MN and other states through this project by the Library of Congress.
Electronic Library of MN
MN residents can search online magazine, journal, newspaper, and encyclopedia articles and eBooks.