Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Minnesota Historical Society holds the world's largest collection of Minnesota newspapers, with dates ranging from 1849 to the present day.
Past issues of most newspaper titles are available on microfilm in the MNHS library, but there is also digital access to select newspapers.
Use the links to the left to search for newspapers available at MNHS and to search within digitized newspaper collections.
Suggested Newspapers & Dates
- Minneapolis Star
- Minneapolis Tribune
- St. Paul Dispatch
- St. Paul Pioneer Press
- New Ulm Brown County Journal
- New Ulm Post (German language)
- 1917, April 6: US enters the World War I
- 1917, April: Commission of Public Safety created by the legislature
- 1917, May: MCPS commissioners hire a detective agency to monitor suspected draft resistors.
- 1917, September 25: MCPS calls for the expulsion of Senator Robert M. La Follette on charges of disloyalty and sedition.
- 1917, November: Alien registration act
- 1917, December: MCPS engineers the removal of two New Ulm city councilmen from office for sponsoring an allegedly unpatriotic (and anti-draft) public meeting.
- 1918, April 30: An MCPS order prohibits public and private schools from employing aliens (non-citizens) as teachers.
- 1918, November: Armistice signed.
- 1919, January & February: Commission of Public Safety's orders rescinded.
- 1920, December 15: MCPS meets for the last time and officially dissolves.
Search for Newspapers
Minnesota Digital Newspaper Hub
A searchable website of Minnesota newspapers. Contains geographically and culturally diverse papers from 1856 to 1924.
Historical Minneapolis Tribune
Search or browse in the 1867-2001 issues of the Minneapolis Tribune. This database is only available in the library.
Search by city and title of newspaper (i.e. Granite Falls Tribune) or by the city and "newspapers" (i.e. Granite Falls newspapers).
Newspapers at MNHS
Search various historic newspapers for advertisements and articles about people, events, and activities.
Access digital historic newspapers from MN and other states through this project by the Library of Congress.
Electronic Library of MN
MN residents can search online magazine, journal, newspaper, and encyclopedia articles and eBooks.