Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Suggested Newspapers & Dates
- St. Paul, Minn.: St. Paul Pioneer Press/ Dispatch
- St. Paul, Minn.: St. Paul Daily Globe
- St. Paul, Minn.: The St. Paul Globe
- Minneapolis, Minn.: Minneapolis Star
- Minneapolis, Minn.: Minneapolis Tribune
- Minneapolis, Minn.: The Minneapolis Journal
- March 23, 1860: Ann Bilansky, the ﬁrst white person and the only woman ever to be legally executed in Minnesota is executed by hanging in St. Paul.
- October 19, 1894: The hanging deaths of Otto Wonnigkeit and Charles Ermisch take place in St. Paul.
- December 11, 1895: Harry Hayward is executed by hanging at the Hennepin County Jail in Minneapolis.
- March 19, 1898: The last execution in Hennepin County, the hanging death of John Moshik, takes place at the Minneapolis City Hall.
- February 13, 1906: The last execution in Minnesota, the hanging death of William Williams, takes place in the Ramsey County Jail in Saint Paul.
- 1911: The death penalty is removed from state criminal law in Minnesota.
Search for Newspapers
Minnesota Digital Newspaper Hub
A searchable website of Minnesota newspapers. Contains geographically and culturally diverse papers from 1856 to 1924.
Historical Minneapolis Tribune
Search or browse in the 1867-2001 issues of the Minneapolis Tribune. This database is only available in the library.
Search by city and title of newspaper (i.e. Granite Falls Tribune) or by the city and "newspapers" (i.e. Granite Falls newspapers).
Newspapers at MNHS
Search various historic newspapers for advertisements and articles about people, events, and activities.
Access digital historic newspapers from MN and other states through this project by the Library of Congress.
Electronic Library of MN
MN residents can search online magazine, journal, newspaper, and encyclopedia articles and eBooks.