Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Suggested Newspapers & Dates
- St. Paul: Dispatch
- St. Paul: Pioneer Press
- Minneapolis: Minnesota Patriot
- Minneapolis: Minnesota Good Templar
- Minneapolis: Tribune
- 1902: The building opens as the United States Post Office, Court House, and Custom House
- May, 1934: Evelyn Frechette's trial (John Dillinger's girlfriend, she harbored him while they lived in St Paul)
- July, 1936: Alvin Karpis' trial
- 1972: Work begins to protect and restore the Old Federal Courts Building
- 1978: The building reopens as Landmark Center
Search for Newspapers
Minnesota Digital Newspaper Hub
A searchable website of Minnesota newspapers. Contains geographically and culturally diverse papers from 1856 to 1924.
Historical Minneapolis Tribune
Search or browse in the 1867-2001 issues of the Minneapolis Tribune. This database is only available in the library.
Search by city and title of newspaper (i.e. Granite Falls Tribune) or by the city and "newspapers" (i.e. Granite Falls newspapers).
Newspapers at MNHS
Search various historic newspapers for advertisements and articles about people, events, and activities.
Access digital historic newspapers from MN and other states through this project by the Library of Congress.
Electronic Library of MN
MN residents can search online magazine, journal, newspaper, and encyclopedia articles and eBooks.
The Minnesota Historical Society holds the world's largest collection of Minnesota newspapers, with dates ranging from 1849 to the present day.
Past issues of most newspaper titles are available on microfilm in the MNHS library, but there is also digital access to select newspapers.
Use the links to the left to search for newspapers available at MNHS and to search within digitized newspaper collections.